The Northern Lights Show is a free, bilingual show presented nightly from mid-July until mid-September. As in the past, the backdrop features the iconic Parliament Hill and its towering buildings. The show itself is an important event in Canada’s milestones and one that visitors and residents alike should not miss.
About the Northern Lights Show
The Northern Lights show will be presented for each summer until 2019 on Parliament Hill. 2015 marked the sixth edition of the Sounds and Lights Show.
The show features an experience of light and sound presenting a thematic journey through Canada’s history. With the assistance of technical and the architectural beauty of Parliament Hill’s buildings, the show highlights partnership, valour, pride and the beauty of our country. There are five exciting features in the show:
- Foundations of the Nation – This story focuses on a fluid ink-in-water style to depict how people have come from all around the world to expand the foundation of the country.
- Strength in Partnership – This features an illustration-style that was inspired by classical paintings. It explores the alliances and strategic partnerships that have made Canada as strong as it is today.
- Discovery and Adventure – Using a lithographic-style, this story showcases the achievements of Canada’s renowned explorers, innovators, scientists and those that have inspired us.
- Valour – Using dramatic performances, archival materials and charcoal drawings, this story honours men and women that have served our country in military conflicts since the First World War.
- Pride and Vision – This story was inspired by the stained glass windows of the Memorial Chamber in Peace Tower. It is vibrant, colourful and showcases the diversity and natural beauty of our country and the people that make up our country.
Stay in One of the Hotels Downtown to Catch the Show
Cartier Place Suite Hotel is in the perfect location for those visiting Ottawa during the Northern Lights show. Located off Elgin Street, our hotel is within walking distance to the best eateries, amenities, and more. It is a quick trip up to Parliament Hill where you can catch the show at 10:00pm in July, 9:30pm in August or 9:00pm in September. After the show, come back to our suite hotel for a comfortable night’s rest.
Book your stay online now or contact our hotel’s information desk at 1-800-236-8399.